The word “LED” is commonly heard and used every day in our living and working environments. But few understand what it is about or why they should switch from traditional lighting options to LED. Simply explained, LED lamps or light bulbs produce light by using a light-emitting diode (LED) through a semiconductor chip that emits light while conducting current.
LED can emit nearly all spectrums of light so it is used for a wide range of applications. It is used for status indicator lights, traffic signals and primary lighting sources at home and offices. They last far longer than incandescent lamps and are far more efficient than fluorescent lamps.
How LED Compares with CFL and Incandescent Lighting
Although LED can use the same E27 base as CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) or incandescent light, the technology differs for all three.
● CFL used phosphor chemicals to create light but they also contain mercury which is difficult to dispose of. They are more energy efficient than incandescent lights.
● Incandescent lights use electricity running through the filament within the bulb to produce light.
● LED consumes less energy than CFL and Incandescent lights. They last for around 50,000 hours.
Replacing regular lighting with LED is considered more of a necessity than a luxury now. Below are five reasons why:
5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to LED
1. Long Life: LED lights are known to live long. Most are rated to illuminate 50,000+ hours of your life. It would take you 50 regular incandescent light bulbs or five compact fluorescent bulbs to light up that many hours for you.
2. Cut Costs: LED light bulbs are extremely cost-effective. Below is the comparison:
● Cost of one light bulb: One 100 watt bulb costs you about $43 per year on 12 hours of usage per day. But they last only 1000 hours. So you need at least four replacement bulbs over a year, so your total cost for one light bulb to $50.
● Cost of LED light: One 10 watt LED bulbs cost about $4.30 to run for 12 hours every day over a year. LED lasts for nearly 4000 hours so it has nearly 10 years of life. Throughout its 11 year life, an LED will cost roughly $120 only, as opposed to $550.
3. Reduce Carbon Dioxide Emissions: By far, the most environmentally friendly light source is LED. They can save the planet and your wallet in leaps and bounds. There are no hazardous elements like mercury in its composition. They use less power, generate less heat and lasts you years. So there are less landfills to clean up from disposing of at least 50 incandescent bulbs and five mercury-tainted fluorescent bulbs in that time. LED lights are white and warm
4. Visually More Appealing: The quality of light produced by LED over traditional incandescent bulbs is far superior. It allows even distribution of light and looks more aesthetic and warm.
XVan Electric Leads You to the Future
For homes and businesses looking to cut their expenses by reducing carbon footprint, it is evident why LED is the way. Although LED costs more, there is a huge amount of money to be saved in the long run. Businesses save on facility-wise installation time. LED lights don’t burn out. They fade out, but even towards the end of their 50,000th hour, they emit about 70% light, saving you a fortune in replacing a light bulb after every 2,000 hours.
XVan Electric has been helping customers make environmentally friendly choices for years. Give us a call and we will put our experience to work for your business. Whether it is a mall, industrial setting or commercial construction, we help you navigate the world of LED upgrades. We also help you with service and maintenance. Give us a call for more light on the matter.