Whether it’s just a bulb or two, or your entire household, making the switch from incandescent lighting to LED bulbs is the smartest thing for your energy bills and the environment. LED bulbs are easy to install yourself, or if you have a bigger job in mind, electrical contractors like those at Xvan Electric Inc. are the way to go. With 30 years of experience in residential, commercial and industrial lighting, our experts know how to make the most out of the vast amount of LED products out there. If you’re interested in getting into the LED game, here are 14 tips to get you started.
- LED bulbs fit a variety of fixture types, and because they reduce heat output, being able to spread them throughout your house is incredibly energy efficient.
- Use bright white lighting for kitchens and bathrooms, while sticking to warmer yellow lighting for bedrooms and living spaces to create a cozier feeling.
- Almost any table lamp can accommodate an LED bulb.
- These bulbs come in a variety of colour temperatures, so they can accommodate whatever ambience you’re going for.
- The average lifespan of an LED bulb is 50,000 hours compared to an incandescent bulb 1,200 hours. This means you can’t go wrong with making the switch and saving money on your energy bills.
- Lamps used for reading should be cooler, slighter brighter and have the ability to be dimmed for optimal lighting that’s easy on the eyes.
- Use coloured or colour changing LED strips to illuminate walls and compartments. Placing them behind your television reduces glare.
- Adding battery powered lights inside packed drawers will make it easier for you to find hidden items.
- Using LED strips underneath kitchen cabinets provides decorative and functional lighting, especially if you’re just looking for a midnight snack.
- For great lighting in your bathroom, place sconces on either side of the vanity mirror, choosing LEDs that sit somewhere between 20 and 25w. If you have recessed lighting above your mirror, try to replace them with scones, as overhead lighting can cast unflattering shadows.
- For any desk lamp, make sure you’re using an LED bulb that’s at least 60w, accompanied by soft overhead lighting. Keep your office lighting no brighter than the brightness of your computer screen to prevent eye fatigue.
- Accent lighting should be dimmer than the lighting of the room. Make whatever features you’re trying to highlight pop by increasing your accent lights to three times the brightness of the rest of the room.
- To enhance the pops of colour throughout your bedroom, replace any dull yellow lighting with LED bulbs.
- For the exterior of your home, using LED floodlights will shed tons of light on larger areas, like the walkway and surrounding areas.
At Xvan Electric Inc. we’ve been helping our customers make good lighting decisions for years. Providing honest, fast and reliable service, we focus on lighting maintenance so you don’t have to. Our registered, licenced and insured electrical contractors service the entirety of Vancouver BC, including the Lower Mainlands. Coming from a background of construction and industrial plc work, there isn’t anything in the electrical field we can’t handle for you. Call us today and we guarantee a great experience for all.